Was finally able to get back on the water after about a month of no fishing. However, I was productive during that little break and was able to snag a Kayak from my brother-in-law Thomas, who is also an avid fisherman. This was just what I needed to get to the spot I had scouted about a month back at Dutch Branch Park, near the marina on Lake Benbrook. My plan was to get out early, but it turned out to be almost 10 o'clock when I finally was able to hit the water, and just as I had thought, the wind was already beginning to pick up (makes kayak fishing tricky). Due to all the rain we have had the past month, the lake had risen probably 5 feet from the last time I was there, it was perfect though because it had flooded all the small trees and grass that had grown in, they were now in about 3 feet of water... my absolute favorite type of cover to fish, so I was feelin' good. Starting out I floated down a near by shore line protected from the wind, I had one strike there from something small. With the wind getting worse I paddled into the marina cove, it was a little better, and I was able to take a nice bass in some flooded bushes in about 3-4 feet of water. Quickly I realized that kayak fishing is tough in high winds, even when you can find some sheltered water, you can only get in 3 or 4 casts before you are out of position and have to reach for the paddle. It was close to 11:30 when the wind finally forced me off the water. Regardless though, I consider the morning a success, I will be looking for an opportunity to get back out there in some more favorable conditions. I know there are fish to be caught in this spot.
You have to make time to fish. As a kid and throughout college, the time seemed to always be there if I needed it... I would make it out to fish three of four times a month. After college that turned into three or four times a year. Sad. Two years ago, I decided to start fishing again, I asked for a new rod and reel for Christmas... the next Christmas came around and I had not even put string on it. Very sad. I now have made a deal with myself to fish more this season, literally force it into my schedule, I am thinking the blog will somehow help me stick to that. I love fishing because it forces me to slow down, nothing is gained by getting in a hurry on a body of water. Year after year it seems I have less free time, and somehow I feel that it is now even more necessary for me to set things aside and fish. Because, who knows? maybe next year I will have even less time for fishing.
So... It's Crunch Time.
Friday, May 27, 2011
Lake Benbrook
Was finally able to get back on the water after about a month of no fishing. However, I was productive during that little break and was able to snag a Kayak from my brother-in-law Thomas, who is also an avid fisherman. This was just what I needed to get to the spot I had scouted about a month back at Dutch Branch Park, near the marina on Lake Benbrook. My plan was to get out early, but it turned out to be almost 10 o'clock when I finally was able to hit the water, and just as I had thought, the wind was already beginning to pick up (makes kayak fishing tricky). Due to all the rain we have had the past month, the lake had risen probably 5 feet from the last time I was there, it was perfect though because it had flooded all the small trees and grass that had grown in, they were now in about 3 feet of water... my absolute favorite type of cover to fish, so I was feelin' good. Starting out I floated down a near by shore line protected from the wind, I had one strike there from something small. With the wind getting worse I paddled into the marina cove, it was a little better, and I was able to take a nice bass in some flooded bushes in about 3-4 feet of water. Quickly I realized that kayak fishing is tough in high winds, even when you can find some sheltered water, you can only get in 3 or 4 casts before you are out of position and have to reach for the paddle. It was close to 11:30 when the wind finally forced me off the water. Regardless though, I consider the morning a success, I will be looking for an opportunity to get back out there in some more favorable conditions. I know there are fish to be caught in this spot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment