You have to make time to fish. As a kid and throughout college, the time seemed to always be there if I needed it... I would make it out to fish three of four times a month. After college that turned into three or four times a year. Sad. Two years ago, I decided to start fishing again, I asked for a new rod and reel for Christmas... the next Christmas came around and I had not even put string on it. Very sad. I now have made a deal with myself to fish more this season, literally force it into my schedule, I am thinking the blog will somehow help me stick to that. I love fishing because it forces me to slow down, nothing is gained by getting in a hurry on a body of water. Year after year it seems I have less free time, and somehow I feel that it is now even more necessary for me to set things aside and fish. Because, who knows? maybe next year I will have even less time for fishing.


So... It's Crunch Time.







Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Off Shore, Florida Keys. Late Sept 2011




That is my buddy Clint in the picture with his 5 pound Mahi Mahi caught off of Key Largo on the Atlantic side of the Keys.  We were all down there for his wedding and a few of the guys, including my Dad, took a half day guided trip off shore.  Perfect weather and calm seas made for an awesome day on the water.  Despite a very competent guide and some good reports in the area, Clint had the only catch of the day (we were glad the Groom-to-be got the catch).  We were out around 4 hours and probably trolled the better part of 3 hours.  The set up was very nice... the boat, a 25 foot twin outboard, deep hull, with a tower and two out-riggers.  The tackle was actually much lighter than I had expected, but for me light is the only way to go, so I was down with that for sure.  Our guide had fresh-dead ballyhoo tied on each out-rig, and some soft plastic type plugs on the two rods.  The catch was cool because it was actually kind of a team effort... I was up top as we trolled a weed line and spotted the fish, Clint was able to get to one of the rods quickly and get the hook set.  It was a nice fight on the light tackle.  The water was extremely blue and clear, you could see the fish fighting 20 feet down it seemed like, it was a pretty sight.  The next day we grilled the fish on the beach and enjoyed it with a few hand rolled cigars.  We all need more days like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment